Ofcom Proposes Multitude of Changes to Licensing Framework
Just a few of the changes outlined in the 101 page proposal include:
- Only permit licensees to hold a single individual licence, requiring surrender of lower licences as they progress
- Streamline and modernise call sign assignment
- Increase the maximum permitted transmit power to allow 20 Watts for Foundation and 100 Watts for Intermediate licensees in most bands; and 1000 Watts for Full licensees in bands where amateur radio has a primary allocation
- Permit the deployment of repeaters, beacons and gateways without requiring a NoV in most cases
- Allow Foundation licensees to build their own equipment and access the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands
- Enable low power airborne use in some frequency bands
The full proposal is available via PDF on the Ofcom website.
Source: Ofcom open_in_new
Submit a Story
Do you have a story to share with the ham radio community? We want to feature your amateur radio related story, event, project, or anything else related to the world of ham radio.